Berry Bash Bowl
I remember the first "bowl" I ever had was in Bali at the famous Nalu Bowls near Single Fin in Uluwatu. I'd always thought of these as kind of 'girly' but one taste got me hooked. I'd joined the "superfood rebellion". Haha! Not...
I've got to say, I don't really believe in the concept of superfoods being magic silver bullets to health as that little magazine in the Sunday paper may have you believe. I do however believe in nutrient density and the fact that some foods are just packed with goodness if you eat them in their rawest state.
The thing about acai, chia and other bowls is that in Australia, they cost you and arm and a leg to buy. Interestingly though, when you have the ingredients, they are super easy to make and the PERFECT anecdote for a hot summer day.
To demo what I mean, check out this simple recipe below...
- 1/3 cup wholemeal oats;
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds;
- Cup coconut water;
- 1 fresh banana;
- 1 frozen pitaya pack (no added sugar)
- 1 kiwi fruit;
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries;
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries;
- 1 teaspoon spirulina;
- Handful of gogi berries;
- Sprinkle of flax seeds;
- Sprinkle of cacao nibs.
When you see these come out in cafes, they look like a work of art! But with this, the secret is out! They're actually bang on easy to make!
- Take your oats and chia seeds and soak them overnight in the coconut water. This has them expand and take on that beautiful texture. Keep them refrigerated so the morning's delight is cold when you devour it.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a blender excluding the gogi berries, cacao and flax seeds. These are your toppings. Blend until smooth.
- Take these along with an extra few berries and sprinkle them on top creating whatever design masterpiece you like.
A lot of bowls served in cafes have sugar, honey, agave or other sweeteners added which adds to the overall calorie count. I think that this one with all of its natural fruit sugars is fine as it is!
Tell me what you think? Taste sensation? I thought some! Maybe send me a pic to email@example.com and I'll share the love...