Breakfast or dinner, eggs are my healthy 'go to'. But have you ever thought about the fact that at most cafes, you'll pay around double what it costs you to make them at home? Well this is what inspired me to cook this one. I could either go and pay $20 to have it done for me or have a go at making it at home for an easy, cheap dinner at half the price.
- Small amount of olive oil;
- 1/2 x onion, chopped;
- 1/2 x red capsicum, chopped;
- Handful of mushrooms, chopped;
- 2 x garlic gloves, minced;
- 400g can crushed tomatoes;
- 1/2 x tsp paprika;
- Chilli flakes;
- Salt and pepper;
- 2 x free range eggs;
- Fresh basil leaves.
For this recipe, you will need a small, heavy plan than can be placed in the oven. Cast iron pans are perfect for both cooking and serving.
- In your small pan, gently fry off onion, capsicum, mushrooms and garlic in a small amount of olive oil. Cook until soften but not burned.
- Add crushed tomato, paprika and a shake of chilli flakes to your liking. Stir through and simmer on lowest heat until visible moisture has disappeared and sauce has thickened. This will take 15-20 minutes.
- Take off heat, make two small depressions in the sauce and crack your eggs gently into them.
- Pop the pan into a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees. Cook until eggs have firmed to your liking.
- Sprinkle with torn basil leaves and serve...