I've grown up in a family that eats seafood on a frequent basis. Some of my fondest memories are of Dad taking my brother and I fishing as kids. We'd go out for 5-6 hours and have an absolute ball, whether we caught fish or not. I can also remember Dad going absolutely bananas when our lines got tangled... haha! He hated that but he's calmed down is his old age!
That childhood experience of fishing with the old man gave me an appreciation of two things:
- The opportunity we have to be able to source fresh, healthy seafood from our own means and the importance of preserving that opportunity by paying attention to size and quantity quotas.
- That cooking seafood need not be hard at all. While we may pay hundreds to eat at a flash seafood restaurant, often you can cook a fillet of fish at home that is just as delicious, for a fraction of the cost.
This recipe is an illustration of this. Could it not be any simpler to prepare a healthy, delicious dinner? I think not.
Salmon is well known as a fantastic protein food to include on a weekly basis. It's heathy fat profile makes it great for the heart and when prepared properly, it's supportive of healthy weight management. Try this one as a quick meal this week; 20-25 minutes and you're done!
- Salmon fillets, as many as you wish;
- Asparagus spears, 6-8 per salmon fillet;
- Olive oil;
- Minced garlic;
- Salt and pepper;
- Bunch of fresh dill;
- 1x lemon, sliced;
Here's how we do it!
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius;
- Take some tin foil and cut it into squares large enough to wrap the salmon. Lay down your bed of 6-8 asparagus spears in the centre of each one.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil across the top of the asparagus along with a small smear of minced garlic; crack some salt and pepper over the top.
- Lay down the salmon fillet on top and repeat the olive oil, salt and pepper drizzle and crack.
- Finally, top the fillets with a couple of lemon slices and a few twigs of dill.
- Fold pouches neatly making sure you enclose the fish so it seals the heat and flavour in. Place in oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove and serve in the foil with brown rice or cous cous. Yummmmmmm!!!
PLEEAAASSSEEEE LIKE AND SHARE! It helps more than you know!