"PROTEIN-BIRD" - such an ugly creature that provides so much love to humans, chicken is just the tits! Low fat, high protein - it's the perfect choice food for those wanting to manage their weight without eating cardboard. Blokes generally don't like eating cardboard.
Our favourite fowl is so versatile and I recon we should take a moment to appreciate just how lucky we are to have this god-given creature for our consumption. I say that with a half-tongue in cheek, but with also a serious belief that we as humans, should aim to connect more with our food. Where it comes from, how it's farmed, how it's treated. Having this consciousness makes you appreciate meal times that much more!
So this dish was a very simple, on-the-spot idea! So that means you too can whip it together in less than 10 minutes prep time and about 20 minutes of cooking. I am always worried about cooking chicken and making sure it's not still pink. Yet at the at same time, make sure you pull it out after 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven so your perfect little chicken pocket doesn't become dry! Enjoy it guys...
- Medium sized chicken breasts - cut the visible fat off;
- Small handful of cherry tomatoes, halved;
- Small handful of spinach leaves, chopped roughly;
- Couple of teaspoons of low-fat ricotta;
- Teaspoon of minced garlic;
- Salt and pepper;
- 2x eggs, beaten;
- Panko breadcrumbs;
- Parsley, chopped.
Here's how we do it!
- Take your chicken breasts and split them from one side to create a pocket. The more pocket, the more filling so some good knife skills here help;
- In a bowl, mix up tomatoes, spinach, ricotta, garlic and a couple of pinches of salt and pepper; stuff that into the chicken pocket - resist the temptation to fill it up too much or it won't close. And yes, your hands are going to get messy - embrace it!
- Holding the chicken closed, dip it in the beaten egg to moisten and then into the panko breadcrumbs to coat;
- Use a couple of toothpicks or skewers to close the pocket... A little filling will still fall out. Don't worry
- Spray chicken generously with some olive oil spray and then pop into an oven preheated at 180 degrees and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
I like to serve this up with some sweet potatoes and a simple rocket, tomato and avocado salad! So fresh and very filling! Get amongst!
PLEEAAASSSEEEE LIKE AND SHARE! It helps more than you know!